Wednesday, February 13, 2008

California Teacher Placed On Leave After Showing Abortion Film

California Public School Teacher Placed On Leave After Showing Abortion Film

"A California science teacher has been placed on administrative leave after coming under fire following the showing of a pro-life film, The Silent Scream, that details an abortion procedure. First-year teacher Randy Yang showed the movie to five eighth-grade classes at Russell Middle School.

Yang aired the film following completion of work in the chemistry classes he teaches and eighth-grader Xhynah Cabugao told the San Jose Mercury News that some of the students were upset by it."

I would be upset as well. I've watched "The Silent Scream", and it is not appropriate for 8th graders. My almost 14 year old will not be allowed to watch the film until I decide she has the maturity to do so, and even then I want to be present because I know how upsetting it will be.

Actions like these are what hurt our movement. We have to remember that even though the younger generation is by far more pro-life than our own, we need to be careful not to push them away by forcing them to watch something they're not ready to view.